Module: 9: Sports Nutrition
Students will gain a basic understanding of the concepts of Culinary Medicine. Students will discuss the impact of medical interaction and intervention in the prevention and treatment of diet-related illnesses. Students will also learn basic kitchen safety and knife handling skills.
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
- Registered Dietitian
- Master and Doctorate Level Nutritionist
- Certified Diabetic Educator
- Discuss the benefits of the Mediterranean and DASH diets.
- Describe, compare, and contrast the DASH diet and Mediterranean diet.
- List the 9 dietary components of the Mediterranean diet.
- Describe the health benefits of each fundamental Mediterranean diet component.
- Quote research based outcomes used to demonstrate effective diet/health connections.
- Understand the basics of mindfulness and its potential effect on weight management, disease prevention/treatment and mood (quality of life).
- Provide examples that relate the impact of diet and exercise to positive or negative health outcomes.
- Defend the importance of a physician’s role in order to nurture healthy lifestyles and alleviate diet-related illness.
- Summarize the positive physician impact points on patient lifestyle.
- Translate evidence-based facts to patient-level information.
- Have dialog with patients about quick, easy, healthy menu planning and food preparation.
- Discuss the social and philosophical impacts on eating habits such as cost, availability, culture, education, location, religion, morality, etc. and the importance of relating to the audience/patient in these terms.
Identification, Mitigation, and Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
In accordance with The Standards for Integrity and Independence, GW requires all planners, faculty, and others in control of educational content to disclose the absence or existence of all financial relationships (of any dollar amount) with any ineligible companies within the past 24 months. Ineligible companies are defined as those whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
GW reviews all disclosure statements to determine which financial relationships are relevant to the educational content of the accredited CE Activity. An individual is considered to have a relevant financial relationship if the educational content an individual can control is related to the business lines or products of the ineligible company.
No Relevant Financial Relationships
Upon review of all collected information about financial relationships with ineligible companies, GW has determined that the following planners, faculty, staff, and others in control of educational content have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
- Timothy S. Harlan, MD
- Kerri Dotson, RD
- Leticia Hall
- Naomi Loughlin
- Sheena King
Continuing Education Accreditation Information
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A certificate of participation will be provided to all other healthcare professionals.
Many credentialing bodies such as the ANCC, AANP, and AAPA) accept certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by the ACCME. If you have doubts whether an activity will qualify for CE, please contact your certifying organization for clarification on credit eligibility.
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.00 Completion
Please note that you must be logged in to complete the CE credit claim process.
You must create a learner account prior to claiming CE credit.