Battling a Pandemic in a Large Urban Jail: Correctional Health Response to COVID-19 at the Cook County Jail
In this session, Dr. Zawitz, an infectious disease physician at Cook County Jail, reviews successful strategies for containing COVID-19 from his experience managing one of the first major COVID-19 outbreaks in a U.S. jail.
This activity is designed to meet the educational needs of physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists, nurses, and other healthcare professionals caring for incarcerated patient populations.
After participating in this activity, clinicians should be able to:
- Detail the potential public health impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the correctional setting
- Describe effective COVID-19 testing strategies for screening newly incarcerated persons
- Outline multiple strategies for containing COVID-19 within the congregate setting of a large urban jail
Chad Zawitz, MD
Director of Infectious Diseases
Cermak Health Services/Cook County Health
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A certificate of participation will be provided to all other healthcare professionals.
Many credentialing bodies such as the ANCC, AANP, and AAPA accept certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by the ACCME. If you have doubts whether an activity will qualify for CE, please contact your certifying organization for clarification on credit eligibility.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.00 Completion
Select the start button to access the activity.
This course is best viewed using one of the following recommended browsers with 'pop-ups' enabled:
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Microsoft Edge
Please note that this site is not compatible with Internet Explorer.
If you are experiencing technical issues, please contact the support team.